Ease of playability is of upmost importance when buying a mandolin. To find a mandolin that is easy to play, look for an adjustable neck with a “truss rod.” All our recommendations* below should have an adjustable neck.
Second priority is longevity of the instrument. We suggest a solid wood top to keep pluckin’ your favorite mandolin forever. Or if you are looking to upgrade your current instrument, look for mandolins with solid backs and sides, too, for ultimate resonance.
Your local music shop will have a variety of awesome instruments for you to choose from. If you decide to purchase an instrument online or used, please have it looked over by a luthier to make sure it is in tip-top playing condition. We love Eagle Guitar for instrument shopping and The Better Fret for set-ups and tune-ups.
Lastly, what style of music would you like to play? If you’re a diehard bluegrass fan, then the “F-style” mandolin will give you the bright sound you’re looking for. If you prefer a warm, versatile sound then the “A-style” mandolin is for you! Check out the mandolins below to get an idea of reputable brands and models.
Now that you’ve found your perfect axe, outfit it with all the necessities.
- Case — go for either a hard shell or at least a padded soft case to protect your beloved instrument.
- Picks — shoot for .60mm so you get a nice bite on individual notes and a smooth strum on chords.
- Strap — pick up a strap in a fun color so you can play securely sitting, as well as standing up onstage.
Build Your Practice Corner
Create a safe and comfortable space to leave your instrument out and get in your practice groove!
- Instrument Stand — a visible instrument is a played instrument! Display your mandolin on the wall or on a sturdy floor stand for a standing invitation to practice, and for a beautiful conversation piece.
- Music Stand — find something nice and robust to hold up heavy books and a metronome/cell phone. Bonus points if you have a place to store pencils and highlighters, a stand light, fingernail clippers, and some clothes pins to keep your books open!
- Adjustable Foot Rest — you will play more if you are comfortable. Prioritize ergonomics and practice with a foot rest to bring your instrument the perfect hight.
*Boise Music Lessons is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon offers a small commission on any products purchased through affiliate links at no additional cost to you. Your purchases help support our work in bringing you quality music resources beyond in-person instruction.